VGVA plays according to NAGVA rules, which in turn are adapted from USAV and FIVB rules.
Every week, each team will referee a match and all players are expected to actively participate in officiating duties. This requires a good knowledge of the rules, an understanding of the responsibilities of each member of the officiating corps, and a commitment to honour the players by doing your best.
Members should familiarise themselves with at least two of the officiating roles in order to contribute to the proper conduct of the game.
Questions about rules or procedures may be addressed to our rules coach.
- NAGVA rules [PDF]
- FIVB rules of the game [PDF] (note that we are still playing with the 2012 rules)
- FIVB casebook [PDF]
- Official hand signals [PDF]
- Volleyball Canada referee guidelines [PDF]
- USAV training videos (note that some procedures may be different from ours)
- FIVB videos (Use the Video Explanation PDF from the Contents section for commentary on each of the videos)
- Volleyball Canada Line Judge Training [PDF]
- NAGVA officiating presentation [PDF] (should be interpreted with the following errata for VGVA gameplay)